The Illustrator Getting Started covers a wide range of topics and we try hard to ensure any specific requirements you might have are met. The standard topics we cover are listed below.
- What are vectors
- What are Bézier curves
- The pen tools
- The pen tool
- Primitive shapes
- Adding/deleting anchor points
- Creating Bézier curves
- Combining shapes
- Creating outlines from text
- The shape builder tool
- The blend tool
- Adjusting existing shapes
- Cutting paths
- Combining paths and shapes
- Erasing paths and shapes
Organising your work
- Custom artboards
- Layer properties
- Group Isolation mode
- Choosing a colour
- Using swatches
- Saving your swatches
- Spot colours
- Process colours
- Global colours
Stroke and Fill
- Creating strokes
- Creating fill
- Applying colour to strokes and fills
- Moving, rotating
- Reflecting, Shearing
- Step and repeat
- Transform again
- Distort & Transform
- Organising your effects
- Adding text
- Text within a a shape
- Text on a shape
- Controlling text
- Creating outlines from text
Saving and Exporting
- Saving options
- Exporting options
- Exporting to pdf
- Other export formats
- Using Illustrator with other applications
The Illustrator Getting Started course introduces you to the basics of creating vector artwork such as logos and technical drawings.
You will learn to
- Understand the difference between vector and raster images
- Be able to create artwork in Illustrator such as logos, technical drawings, typography and illustrations.
- Know how to customise the Illustrator interface to improve efficiency and work better
- Feel comfortable using Illustrator's tools to create shapes, lines, bezier curves (we'll explain these too) and more.
- Understand and be able to organise your layers, artboards, templates, etc..
- Apply colours, gradients and a wide range of effects to your illustrations
- Transform your shapes by duplication, rotating, scaling, and more
- Save your illustrations for reuse in both print and web using formats such as ai, pdf, svg and more.
Who should attend this course
This course is aimed at anybody wanting to get up and running with Adobe Illustrator, and looking to learn how to use the pen tool and other Illustrator tools to create scalable vector artwork. You should be comfortable using a computer to copy and past, open files and applications and other similar skills.
Comments from delegates that attended
"Really good instructor, very impressed with the overall approach who was very patient and explained everything clearly. Very friendly and energetic!"
Concept Designer, Interface
"Excellent. Always makes things easy to understand and more than happy to go back through any things found difficult. Really enjoyed learning the basics, feel as though its been incredibly useful."
Marketing Assistant, Varlink
"Fantastic tutor, patient and fun. I've really enjoyed my course and I feel much more equipped to start working with illustrator. I think the size of the class was perfect and the pace of the course was also great."
Photographer and Publicity Assistant, Reliance Precision
"Roger was very knowledgeable and approachable. He answered our questions thoroughly and well. It is obvious when the trainer is an actual user of the software."
Technical Author, Lhasa
"I enjoyed the fact that it is mostly practical and you're able to get hands on with the software. The instructor is very friendly and approachable which makes it easier to ask for help."
Marketing Administrator, Softbox
"Very good. Good, comfortable working environment"
Data Officer, Joseph Rowntree Foundation
"Really good introduction to all the basic tools of illustrator."
Valerie Hawkins, Footwear Designer
"The instructor was very friendly and always helped when i asked questions."
Litho Printer, Litmus
"Excellent, Comprehensive training for Adobe suite courses."
Owner, MGT Publications
"Very good introduction to a complex matter - it made it feel easy. It wants me to go home and play around with it now."
Content Marketing Manager, Six Degrees
"Very helpful, answered every question that I had, correctly."
Project Management Assistant, Lloyds Banking Group