Reach your potential with our Advanced InDesign course
Our InDesign Advanced Training Course is aimed at those who are comfortable with the basics of using InDesign, and want to look at some of the more advanced functionality available in InDesign. The course is ideally suited to those who have attended the InDesign Getting Started course, or are already comfortable with most of the topics covered within it.
During this course you will learn how to work with more advanced styling such as nested styles, next style and object styles, you will learn to apply automated page numbering, use the liquify and alternate layout functions and lots more. You will work with interactive features and learn how to create pdf forms from within InDesign all ready for output, not to mention add hyperlinks, page transitions and other interactive features. We will teach you how to make use of snippets and libraries to reuse content saving a lot of time, and if you are working with external data from excel or other database sources, we will teach you how to generate a fully formatted indesign document directly from the data file.
The InDesign Advanced course covers a wide range of more advanced topics and our instructors work hard to accommodate questions outside the topics listed. The standard topics we cover are listed below.
- Setting up character and paragraph styles
- Adding styles to CC libraries
- Styling bullets
- Using next paragraph style
- Advanced nested styles
- What are object styles
- Creating an object style
- Applying paragraph styles within an object
- Using quick apply
- Setting a default object style
- Table styles
- Cell styles
- Paragraph styles in cells
- Cell styles in tables
- Creating table styles
- Applying table styles
- Automated table of contents
- Formatting the TOC
- Updating the TOC
- Styling table of contents
- Dynamic story jumps
Advanced Layout Options
- Live distribute
- Liquid layout
- Liquid page rules
- Alternate layout
- Alignment tips
Pen tool, Paths and Pathfinder
- Creating paths
- Creating custom frames
- Combining different shapes
- Type on a path
- Formatting type on a path
- Placing text in a custom frame
- Merging frames
- Compound frames
Working with Objects
- Grouping and ungrouping
- Change object shape
- Rotating a spread
- Arranging objects
- Layers Panel
- Export to interactive pdf
- Overview of pdf forms
- Text and signature fields
- List and combo boxes
- Checkboxes and radio buttons
- Setting tab order for pdf forms
- Submit, print and clear actions
- Outputting a form
- Testing in Acrobat
- Bridge Workspaces
- Working with Mini Bridge
- Image Metadata in Bridge
- Metadata Templates
- Live image captions
- Colour Management in Bridge
Working with images
- Using PDF files in InDesign
- Using Illustrator files
- Embedding images
- Preflighting and images
- Images and transparency
- Placing images from CC libraries
Colour and Colour themes
- Mixed ink colours and groups
- Separations preview panel
- The ink manager
- What is Adobe Colour Themes
- Creating a colour theme
- Managing colour themes
- Using .ASE files
- Word and Excel content
- Import options
- Importing styles
- Handling style conflicts
- Import presets
- Importing text
- Export interactive PDFs
- Export as HTML5
- Export for Kindle
- Export as SWF
- Export as ePub
- ePub 2 v 3
- Adobe Publish Online
Working with text
- Using conditional text
- Convert text to frames
- Tracking text changes
- Custom autocorrect
- Custom spell check
- Link content between documents
- What is GREP
- Find and replace with GREP
- Using GREP styles
- Some sample GREP styles
- Saving as snippets
- Showing snippets in Bridge
- Reuse snippets on document
- The CC libraries panel
- What can be saved in CC libraries
- Which Adobe apps use libraries
- Adding items to a library
- Sharing CC library items
- Collaborating on CC library items
- How to setup a merge source
- Add merge fields
The InDesign Advanced course introduces more advanced skills which are designed to save you time and speed up your workflow.
You will learn to
- Use a variety of styles to automate formatting of content
- Automatically generate tables of contents from document
- Easily create and maintain interactive pdf forms
- Add interactive features to your digital documents including
- Hotspots and more
- Generate image captions from image metadata
- Make use of Photoshop channels and clipping paths in InDesign (no PS experience needed)
- Export to a variety of formats such as PDF, HTML5, ePub and more.
- Localise a single InDesign document to handle multiple versions of content eg:
- A catalogue that has pricing in dollars, pounds and euros.
- A company that brochure has office in different areas.
- Reuse content across and within documents
- Format text based on common "patterns" in the text, eg: format all email addresses
- Use content from a spreadsheet or database to generate a document, eg: a product catalogue
Our scheduled courses are designed to ensure you have a professional and productive experience. With 20 years practice we have had plenty of time to get it right, but we are always open to new suggestions as well.
Reasons to choose Highlander for your InDesign training
- A proven track record - Highlander has been established for 20 years.
- High quality instruction - All of our instructors are Adobe Certified Instructors.
- We make sure you are happy - Our satisfaction guarantee ensures you leave with a smile.
- Follow on support - We give you 12 months post course support.
What you get on a Highlander Course
Start and finish times
Our courses start at 9.30am and typically run until 4pm. The finish time is based primarily on how much information people can retain in a day without being overwhelmed, and can vary slightly depending on individual class size and ability.
Each delegate is provided with use of a computer, setup with the latest version of the software they are learning. Our London centre has a mix of Mac and PC's, so if you have a preference please advise us when booking. Older versions of software can usually be catered for on request.
If delegates prefer to work in their own environment and would rather bring their own laptop that is equally fine.
Hot drinks and bottled water is provided throughout the day together with a selection of biscuits and sweets. There is a scheduled 15 minute break mid morning and again mid afternoon.
There is a one hour break for lunch to allow delegates some time "off the screen". Both our centres are in areas which offer a wide range of options for lunch.
In London we are located on Upper Street in Islington which is one of London's more popular locations for eating out, offering everything from popular cafe's and burger & pizza bars through to a wide range of restaurants. In addition we also have an in-house cafe in the building should you not wish to venture further.
In York we are located on the well known Bishy Road, with a wide range of popular cafe's just a few metres from the front door. The street regularly features in national newspapers and has been described by Wall Street Journal as "an enclave of gourmet delis and cafes" while The Times described it as "York's answer to Notting Hill".
Course manuals / books are provided for all our standard scheduled courses and you get 12 months access to our learning management system which contains a variety of content ranging from video tutorials and refresher exercises through to copies of course slides.
All the machines have full internet access and free wifi is available to use within our centres.
Certificate of Completion
All delegates receive a certificate of completion to show they have completed an Adobe Authorised Training Course.
Who should attend this course
This InDesign course is suitable for people who have already attended the InDesign Getting Started course or have equivalent experience.
You should be comfortable creating new documents, adding and formatting text, placing images, applying basic paragraph styles and resizing and positioning frames within InDesign.
If you are unsure whether this is the right course just call us and we can arrange for you to have a quick chat with one of our instructors. You can reach us on 0800 156 0777.
Comments from delegates that attended
"He is a great instructor. He has a clear passion for teaching. He makes the course interesting and easy to understand. I have learned more in this class than any other class I have every taken. The course covered very interesting topics."
Digital Creative Support, The Institute of Practitioners in Advertising
"This is my second course with this instructor and he always has time to answer any questions and manage any challenges that any of the learners have and walks us through the solution. I always leave with some really handy ways of working."
Internal Comms, Caffe Nero
"He was a fantastic teacher, friendly, approachable, knowledgeable and really made sure that I understood everything and went the extra mile. All brilliant, thank you."
Marcom Events Coordinator, Arthrocare
"Very pleasant and helpful - feel like I have learned so much in only one day! Kept providing opportunity to ask questions, even if it was something that hadn't been covered. Found out a lot of useful information which I can now combine into my job role."
Communications Co-ordinator, Tesco
"He was extremely helpful, encouraging and personable, and always made sure that the pace and content of the training were suited to all the class members."
"I found the him very knowledgeable and helpful as an instructor. We covered a lot in a short amount of time but I feel we went through each topic in detail and had the opportunity to make sure we understood before we moved on to the next topic"
Marketing Officer, East Surrey College